Thursday, April 29, 2010

Coming Out of the Broke Closet

Thank you to Susan Tompor for taking the time to speak to me at length about Broke is Beautiful. I talked to the Detroit Free Press reporter for about two hours while working on my community rummage sale.

"I wish that more people would come out of the closet as broke people," said Laura Lee, 40, who lives in Rochester Hills and wrote a new book called "Broke Is Beautiful: Living and Loving the Cash-Strapped Life." ($12.99, Running Press.)

"A lot of people are feeling broke."...

Many people, Lee maintains, suffer delusions of wealth. But she doesn't put herself in that category. She says, for example, that she mainly buys her clothes twice a year at that church rummage sale where women's sweaters start at $4, jackets at $7 and slacks at $5. Prices are lower on Friday and Saturday.

Interestingly, most of the quotes in the piece came from the book. I must not have been as quotable as I hoped!

Remember that you can order your copy of Broke is Beautiful via the link on the right. (Click the book cover). I will send you a personally autographed copy. You support starving artists (or at least one) when you order this way.

Via that link you can also get a number of my books that are no longer available elsewhere. As a rummage special, now through the end of the month, when you order I'll throw in a free copy of my ultra-rare 2000 book Bad Predictions. Thanks for your support!