Saturday, March 20, 2010

Another Member of the Broke and Beautiful Nation

Lesley Pink, an editor, writer and contributor to The 405 Club, wrote about the benefits of being unemployed in her article On the Bright Side:

There are some positives to being out of work. I don’t have to ride the subway during rush hour. Office politics are no longer since I don’t have an office. I can take a walk in the middle of the day. I am not hidden away in a windowless office for eight hours a day. Grocery stores and banks are much less busy in the middle of the day. I get to watch “The Price is Right.” I don’t have to feel guilty about skipping the gym because I don’t belong to a gym anymore— that had to go when I lost my job. I can wear flipflops instead of heels.

Jeans are now at the forefront of my daily wardrobe. I can work on my writing. I can hang out at a cafe for hours at a time. I don’t have to suffer through painful work parties or outings. I don’t have to appease anyone. I get to see my niece and nephew more often.