Friday, September 3, 2010

House Sitting Adventure

The Ecologist recently printed an article (posted, I guess, not a lot of actual "printing" going on these days) on cash-free living.


I am embarking on my own "cash free" adventure as I head off to North Carolina for my first assignment as a house sitter. In exchange for free room and board, I will be watching a home and pets while the owners are on vacation. Being on the road with my ballet project half the year, the idea of being a house sitter during the off months has always appealed to me. I thought it would be hard to get into, and I didn't know where to start. It turns out to have been surprisingly easy to get into, at least in my case. I simply subscribed to The Caretaker Gazette, a newsletter which lists house sitting and property care-taking opportunities. I replied to an ad, and was off. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the mean time: buy the book, won't you? There's a link to the right. Thanks.